The Hollies

Discussion in 'Movies, TV, Shows etc. etc.' started by Jean, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Jean

Jean Webmaster Staff Member

Hi Everybody
    I have been away for a few days but now back and able to tell about The Hollies show that we saw.

At the evening meal before the show and perhaps to make it rather special, everybody was given a glass of pink ‘champagne’ and the ladies were all given a red carnation . (Pic is my actual carnation still flowering two weeks later but afraid the drink is gone :p )

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

The Hollies appeared on stage to very enthusiastic applause and immediately started with several of their classic hits - Bus Stop, Carrie Anne, Stop Stop Stop , Jennifer Eccles, Just One Look, I Can’t Tell The Bottom From The Top, and many more, interspersed with several from their latest album, most of which were new to me. There was very friendly banter with the audience and each other and before long many were dancing in front of the band. Everybody having a great time.

Then we heard one of the most famous guitar intros of all time- Tony Hicks’ wailing signal for “The Air That I Breathe” sung by Peter Howarth but if you closed your eyes it could have been Allan Clarke singing, Peter has got it off to a ‘tee’. Thunderous applause followed and as they turned to leave the audience kept shouting ‘more’ until they returned and Peter Howarth said “You didn'’t think we would leave without singing this one” and they launched into "He Ain’t
    Heavy, He’s My Brother”. It was followed by more applause as the audience were hoping for another encore - but this timethey did leave the stage - Peter Howarth saying “You have been a fantastic audience” (I bet they say that every time). :D It was a really enjoyable evening!

And I have just been googling and find that the Hollies are appearing here at our Theatre
    March 21st next year. Needless to say I have bought my tickets!!!!

But of course I have tickets to see Alan with The Manfreds way before that :D

2. Rebekka

Rebekka Administrator Staff Member

Looks like it was a good show then Jean - and you have tickets
    to see them again!

I think all of the stars of that era who are still entertaining us
    do really good shows - Alan especially - we are very rarely disappointed! :cool:

3. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

Sounds like a wonderful show, Jean. So glad to hear they're still in fine form. Looking back, I'm surprised to realize how many great songs the Hollies did -- there sure was a lot of talent there, in all the various incarnations.

Of course I always felt they were a special band to me, just because of the name. :cool:

4. adebee

adebee New Member

Pink champagne would be nice :cool:

A good show then Jean? - must have been if you are going to see them again.