The Apex 1st July 2012*

Discussion in 'TOUR DATES AND REVIEWS' started by Jean, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Jean

Jean Webmaster Staff Member

Wahay! we made it to Bury St Edmunds although it was touch and go until the last minute.
    Alan and the band were brilliant as usual. No matter how many times I see him it is always
    a great show.

What a great evening we had seeing Alan Price Set -and as I have said before -with songs enjoyed as much today as when they first appeared. Alan was in great voice as always with his usual Geordie humour and such exuberance for somebody who has recently celebrated his 70th birhday!

The set started with Goin' Down Slow - great jamming session to begin the show and introduce the Band followed by Let The Good Times Roll. A witty account of Newman family led to Simon Smith And His Amazing Dancing Bear - always a favourite. Bobby Tench entertained with Black Magic Woman. Screamin' Jay Hawkins' I Put A Spell On You was performed by Alan with great vitality and we were assured the ambulance staff were standing by while he sang this number in case of any accident when he sang the high notes! Four songs from O Lucky Man - O Lucky Man, Sell Sell Sell, Poor People and Changes then Put Another Nickel In brought us to the interval.

Second half started with I Am So Into You Babe followed by I'll Turn My Back On You (?)
    Don't Stop The Carnival, Hi Lili, Rosetta and House That Jack Built. Zoot Money sang Nothin' Shakin' But The Bacon. Martin Wild then gave us a great drum solo and Peter Grant a superb Bass Guitar solo, the energy of these two getting deserved applause.

Alan returned to the stage with Girl From The North Country and We Gotta Get Out Of This Place then brought the show to an exhilarating end with The House Of The Rising Sun, Jarrow Song/Changes/Jarrow Song. The appreciation of the audience was evident by the great applause. Again, well done Alan and the lads! Thanks for an absolutely wonderful evening.

(An anecdote just for a laugh)
    We were sitting in the front row, as always, and during the show I was making
    notes, very discreetly I thought, to use for this review. After the interval and
    So into you Babe I didn't recognise the next song and was scribbling a bit
    more and in the half dark obviously had my head down to do this (still not
    sure what the song is called). Next up was Don't stop the Carnival - easy
    to note and I was clapping along with the rest of the audience and at the
    end of 'Carnival' heard the remark "So you are with us again now?"
    Oh dear, it must have looked like I was having a doze!. :duh:[/font][/size]

2. Fabienne

Fabienne New Member

3. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

Thanks so much for the excellent review, Jean! Sounds like an amazing show -- as always!!
  4. Emm

Emm New Member

Great review Jean.
    So glad that you enjoyed it!