1. metropolitan man

metropolitan man New Member

This is my first post here, so please don't skewer me if this is in any way inappropriate...

I've become more and more obsessed with the prospect of hearing "Savaloy Dip" as of lately. My favorite run of Alan's material has always been from '73-'75, my favorite LP being "Between Today and Yesterday." Anyway, I guess I've just always imagined that "Savaloy Dip" would fill in the gaps that I feel exist (musically) between "O Lucky Man!" and "Today." I suppose I've always been curious about the "Savaloy Dip" 8-track since I first heard of its existence, but for the last few weeks, it's actually been bugging me. I don't believe I've ever heard a review proper of it, although I've heard a lot about its physical history. I also know it contains the song "Between Today and Yesterday," so I'm led to believe that Alan's succeeding album of that name is to some extent a refinement/reworking of ideas already present on "Savaloy Dip."

Anyway, here are my questions/requests...

1) Could someone familiar with this album please describe to me how they feel it fits into Alan's surrounding works. Is it as enjoyable a listen as "OLM!" & "BTaY"? Does it stand alone as a meritous album in its own right, or does it feel like an embryonic version of "Between Today and Yesterday"?

2) Would any of you (and this is the worrysome part of my post) be willing to do a B&P with me? I would really love to hear this album, and if I could buy it from a legitimate retailer, if I could deposit money directly into Alan's bank account, I most certainly would. Unfortunately, I am unable to to do so. If any one of you would be so gracious, please PM me.

*Moderator(s): I understand that this kind of pleading is usually frowned upon, and I fully understand if this is unacceptable behavior, especially from a new member, but I really, really, really want to hear this material, and I don't have any other avenues for doing so.

Thank you all in advance, and may I just say that it's really nice to find a group of individuals who appreciate this brilliant musician's body of work as I do!

2. Jean

Jean Webmaster Staff Member

Hi Metropolitan Man

Great to have another Alan Price fan on board.
    Do tell us how you came to be an AP fan :)

Have you looked at our Lyrics section -
    Savaloy Dip

I don't think it has ever been officially released so you are
    unlikely to get a review except from his dedicated fans

:)

3. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

Metro Man --

Not inappropriate at all -- I think it's great that you've asked the question to spark some discussion here!

I think if you're looking for Savaloy Dip to be an "embryonic Between Today and Yesterday," you might be disappointed. No other songs on the record seem to be early versions of "Today's" tracks. My guess is that the record executives heard the Savaloy tracks, didn't "get it," and told Alan to keep that one song and build a whole album around it.

You have to remember that the mid-70s was a big era for "concept albums," and perhaps that was why they were looking for a more thematically unified record. I think they also maybe wanted to deliver something that they could "sell" as an extension of the O Lucky Man! image, so wanted to emphasize the Northern England connection. To give Alan credit, instead of stomping off mad or being discouraged, he went back to the drawing board and came up with an autobiographical masterpiece, so in that respect the record execs knew what they were doing.

In another respect, of course, they were totally wrong. This album is musically delightful, and it really shows Alan stretching his musical limbs in all directions. One of the things that always frustrated Alan in the Animals days was that he wanted to play a greater variety of music, not be stuck in a blues mold. My personal belief -- based on absolutely nothing but 30+ years of thinking about Alan Price! -- is that he saw the success of O Lucky Man! as a springboard to let him expand his horizons, and the range of songs on "Savaloy Dip" certainly show him doing that. I can also see how "Savaloy Dip"'s songs would have been more interesting to him as a keyboardist -- rhythmically and stylistically they are more complex than "Today"'s material, which is more indebted to folk, blues, music hall, and pub singalongs.

I do think it's interesting that he never tried to recycle any of these songs onto any later albums. Maybe they seemed to him forever tainted with rejection; or maybe Warners Brothers hung onto the rights somehow. Just another few questions to add to my long list of things I'd like to ask Alan if I ever get the chance!