Running a web site?

Discussion in 'Any questions - perhaps someone knows the answer!' started by "007", Jun 24, 2006.

1. "007"

"007" New Member

Diana, or anyone,

How difficult is it to run and maintain a site like this? If you have to, please PM me about it. Do you have to be a computer expert? Do the phpBB people run it? Is that a language or a "site" company? What's the difference between an administrator and a moderator? Can I become one? If so, how? Basically I'm interested in starting one of my own. If it's easier to refer me to a web site, that's OK also. I hope you all have a great weekend full of love, friendship, and GOOD MUSIC!!

"007"

2. Diana

Diana Administrator Staff Member

On a scale of 1-10, at the start it's 15 but as you develop the site, it goes down and down until it's easy peesy!!

Some moderate level of computer skills are necessary but you learn more as you go.

It's a company or a group of like minded people who want to provide a service - haven't worked out which yet. They run the backrgound stuff but you choose from their 'library' of colours and fonts and stuff and from then on it's all yours!!!

Not an awful lot except in the depth they can get into the workings of the site. Basically, a mod 'moderates' or supervises the posts, edits bad stuff where required and reports anything worse to the admin. An administrator can ban members who misbehave and stuff like that.

It's best to be a member of a forum for a while and get known. Some forums offer training, smaller ones may not. You might get to mod by knowing the webmaster (or top boss) or even being their sister!!!!

Best thing is to just go ahead and do it!! It takes a lot of hard work to create as jjean will tell you, and a lot of grief when things just won't seem to work, but you get there in the end and there are always people willing to help, either at PhpBB or elsewhere.

Go for it, dude!!!

You too, 007. Let us know if you ever take the plunge!!

3. Dids

Dids New Member

So what happened, 007? Did you change your mind or are you having a go?

4. Diana

Diana Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, c'mon - gi' us the crack!!!

5. "007"

"007" New Member

YIKES :!: "Give us the CRACK" sounds like a wiretapped drug-deal going down :x :oops: :roll:

OK, NO, I haven't started yet. What is step ONE :?: :?: Who do I contact? How much does a domain name cost? How long is it good for? Do I need my own server?

I have a 13 year-old nephew whom I've planted the idea with, and he says he'll help me, but he's 2000 miles away. I bring him to my home every summer and I told him next year would be a "working vacation". I told him he could get out of our morning, 2 mile walk to the lighthouse if he would spend that time on the computer. It wasn't the BEST deal he's ever heard of :!: color.gif :lol: I'm still VERY SERIOUS about it though ;)

ANY help would be appreciated :) ;) ;) That's where it's at for now. Thank you all for your curiousity and concern :!: color.gif :!:

DOS

6. Neko

Neko New Member

servers

There are lots of servers to choose from not just PBB I started off by using proboards, they're the easiest server to use. They're simple and effective to use. Then there's PBB or these type of boards which I personally couldn't run and its hard to stylise them. And finally invisionfree my favorite, they're hard to run to start with but once you got the hang of it it's fine and you can personalise it majorly. I have my own invisionfree forum at the moment and is very easy to control and decorating is pretty easy as there is a forum that gives you all the codes to do it all up. all of which are free.
    HOWEVER if you want a personalised llink (URL/Adress) then you usually have to pay for it. e.g www.welovealan.com ;)

7. Rebekka

Rebekka Administrator Staff Member

Neko, Seems like young people have all the knowledge and starting up a website is easy-peasy :roll:

and DOS your nephew sounds a good bet :lol:

8. Neko

Neko New Member

Its not that, it's just because I have all my own to run and others I'm moderator on
    :)