Other favorite musicians?

Discussion in 'Any other subjects?' started by hollyh, Jun 12, 2006.

1. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

Anyone who likes Alan Price must have good taste in music, right? :D So I'm just curious to find out what other music his fans tend to listen to.

My special favorites are Ray Davies and the Kinks, Nick Lowe, Elvis Costello, and John Hiatt. Just for starters. :wink: And yours?

2. Diana

Diana Administrator Staff Member

oooh - David Soul!! (Of course, he's a tad older now.........!)

[​IMG]

And I took this picture so he's smiling at me!!

3. "007"

"007" New Member

Is David Soul one of the Soul Brothers?

My recent favs include:
    John Hiatt
    Lucinda Williams
    Dave Alvin
    Little Feat
    :shock:

I just threw the emoticon at the end for Holly, cuz it looks like an Elvis Costello emoticon

4. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

You mean like this?

[​IMG]

5. Guest

Guest Guest

That is an EXACT emoticon, in black and white! Amazing!!!

6. "007"

"007" New Member

that was from me. i thought i would be signed in automatically. ok, so i'm still figuring this out. Just HOW did you do that Holly, I MUST know!

7. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

You hit the image button above the message window, then copy a url for a photo (presumably you have already done your google search to find this url) and then hit the image button again.

I always feel so pleased with myself when I make something like this work.

Let's see if I can do it again...

[​IMG]

Yup. I'm a happy camper...

8. "007"

"007" New Member

http://www.gif.com/gif.com/showphoto.php?photo=12976&pap

Does this work?

9. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

Not yet. Make sure you have the correct url -- it should end with .jpg or .gif if it's a picture.

Let me do it again...

[​IMG]

(You know this is just an excuse for me to load up dreamy photos of Alan Price...this one is from the set of O Lucky Man!....)

10. Jean

Jean Webmaster Staff Member

Re David Soul

007!

You are joking of course?

David Soul - Starsky and Hutch!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. "007"

"007" New Member

OK, I must admit, I was joking! What I don't know is that David Soul is a singer. Is he? I never heard of him recording live music. I did say I was here to learn. JJean, first of all, why 2 jays at the beginning of your name, and second, just looking at the 007 with the exclamation mark made me feel like I could hear you saying it! I had the picture of you (of course I have NO idea what you look like) standing there with your hands on your hips, and saying, "007!" in a attention getting, non-stern, but "what do you think you're doing" sort of attitude. Please understand it was a very good "picture"! So, if he did record music, please tell me more. Thanks for allowing me to have some fun!!!

12. "007"

"007" New Member

Speaking of fun and headspinning- I just posted the above, went to the forum, and saw my post and it was dated TUESDAY, when it's only Monday. Whew, I had to sit down!!! OK, part of that was a joke!

13. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

I gather that the forum runs on UK time zone, which means it flips over to the new day sooner, 007.

And yeah, 007, David Soul also sings. My memory is that he started out as a singer, but got sidetracked into acting. His first big break was on "Here Come the Brides" (you may also recall his co-star Bobby Sherman, who had quite a teen idol thing going there for a while). By the 1970s, when he got the Starsky and Hutch gig, he was well enough established as an actor that he could also pursue his original singer-songwriter dreams. I don't remember any of his songs too clearly, but I do remember that he has a very nice kind of folk-singer-y voice.

But I'm assuming that others here know more about his singing career than that...

14. Diana

And you could be right, hollyh!! You certainly know your Soul-ography! He made four albums all of which were moderately successful but then his record company, Private Stock, went bust (not his fault!!!) and because his contract was tied up with the inevitable legal stuff, he was unable to try for another recording contract for ages which pretty near killed his credibility as a recording artiste. However, he continued to do a lot of acting in films and TV and did some directing and producing and has written scripts as well. Rumour has it he's currently working on his autobiography. He has travelled about all over the world, lived in a house boat on the Seine (Paris!!) next door to Richard Branson for quite a while and then, in 1997-ish, moved to London where he has lived, initially in a houseboat on Camden Lock, ever since. He obtained British citizen-ship last year.[​IMG]

During his sojurn here he was done a lot of stage work, appearing in the West End in "Blood Brothers", "Missing in Action", "Comic Potential", "Jerry Springer - The Opera" and most recently, "Mack and Mabel". All have had good if not rave reviews and some have had awards.

He has also done some concerts, a concert tour of the UK in 2002 and a one-off in a town in Switzerland which was absolutely fantastic! I flew over for one day just to see it! When I met him in the bar after and he learned I was going back the next morning he told me "Woman, you're mad!!"

He made a new album around then too, but more legal difficulties have prevented it from being released. I have a copy, however, one of only 20 that made it onto the market!!

His better known songs included "Silver Lady", "Going In With My Eyes Open" and "Don't Give Up On Us (Baby)" which he nowadays refers to as "don't throw up on us, baby"!!

Anything else you want to know???

15. Jean

Jean Webmaster Staff Member

Hi 007
    See you made it to number 7 - at the expense of jarrow lass disappearing but she will be signing on again soon

Why 2 JJs? The short answer is why not? But then 'Jean' is such an ordinary name and I like to be different color.gif and just maybe your picture of me is correct :lol:

16. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

Yes, Diana, I remember "Dont Give Up On Us, Baby" -- that got a lot of airplay at the time. Good record!

I guess we can assume you are, ahem, a fan? ;) How cool that you got to meet him in Switzerland!

17. Diana

In Switzerland and many, many other places!!

[​IMG]

But now I'm just showing off!

(PS I'm the blob in blue!!)

18. "007"

"007" New Member

JJean,

How stupid of me. I mean, I have double 0's, I have 2 " on each side, and, again agreeing with you, plain 7 is, well, plain! I will put on my thinking cap :roll: from now on before I ask such silly questions :oops:

"007"

19. Concatelli

Concatelli New Member

Some of my other favorite musicians / groups (in no particular order):

John Lennon
    George Harrison
    Ronnie Lane
    Brian Wilson
    Donovan
    Jon Anderson
    Leon Russell
    Harry Nilsson
    Neil Young
    Adrian Belew
    Leo Kottke
    Keith Emerson
    Patrick Moraz
    Georgie Fame
    Julian Lennon
    Sean Lennon
    Ryuichi Sakamoto
    Arthur Brown
    Frank Zappa
    Yes
    Emerson, Lake & Palmer
    Blue Jays (Justin Hayward & John Lodge)
    Brewer & Shipley
    The Beach Boys
    The Beatles
    The Faces
    The Small Faces
    Gentle Giant
    King Crimson
    Canned Heat

(And lots and lots of other favorites, too.)

So, what are yours?

20. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

Great list, Tony! I agree with you on many of those artists. But here's a short list of my VERY faves:

Nick Lowe
    Ray Davies
    The Kinks
    The Beatles
    Paul McCartney
    Elvis Costello
    Joe Jackson
    Robyn Hitchcock
    Marshall Crenshaw
    Dusty Springfield
    Sandie Shaw
    Georgie Fame
    Donovan
    The Zombies
    Van Morrison
    Paul Weller/The Jam
    The English Beat
    The Specials
    John Hiatt
    Lyle Lovett
    Guy Clark
    Dave Alvin
    Ron Sexsmith
    Jill Sobule
    Ben Folds
    Keb' Mo'
    Amos Lee

Plus there are a lot of new bands I like: The Fratellis, The Decemberists, Nickel Creek, Death Cab for Cutie, The Kaiser Chiefs, Franz Ferdinand. Even though in some ways I'm forever stuck in the 60s and 70s, I happen to think that right now is a very exciting time for music. With the record companies falling apart and pop radio basically dead, it's actually a time when young indie artists can find their own audience using the internet, small club dates, and word of mouth. A lot of fresh ideas out there, and a lot of young bands who'll admit they were inspired by the 60s Beat and classic songwriting by artists like Alan Price!