O Lucky Man!

Discussion in 'Movies, TV, Shows etc. etc.' started by hollyh, Jun 12, 2006.

1. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

O Lucky Man! is one of my favorite films of all time and the film that introduced me to Alan Price. (It took me months afterward to find out that he was the same guy who played those blistering organ solos with the Animals!). Living in the US, where few of the Alan Price Set singles got air play and we never saw the Alan Price/Georgie Fame TV shows, I had no idea who he was before then. His songs were such an important part of that film -- I can still remember the impact of that swift cut to his his hands crashing down on the keyboards with the opening chords of the title track. Then, after the film had established Alan's songs as a commentary on the plots action, suddenly a battered van hurtles into the main character's life and Alan pops out -- and now he's a character in the film as well. Brilliant.

I remember walking out of this film (I saw it at the Leicester Square Cinema in July 1973) and feeling that my life had been changed. I was just a teenager at the time, but I was right.

2. Concatelli

Concatelli New Member

"O Lucky Man" released on DVD

Today (October 23, 2007) is the official release date for the LIMITED-EDITION, 2 DVD set of Lindsay Anderson's masterpiece, "O Lucky Man!"

(And only one day before Kali's birthday. Happy Birthday, Youthquake!)

Amazon.com sent me an email, confirming that my pre-ordered copy has been shipped. Their price ($14.99 - which I suspect will go up soon) is amazing. I'll post a review of all the DVD extras as soon as it arrives.

Chocolate sandwich, anyone?

3. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

It's lucky you've come on a Tuesday -- we always have a bit of a gathering on a Tuesday.... :lol:

4. Concatelli

Concatelli New Member

"O Lucky Man!" on DVD

Lindsay Anderson's brilliant 1973 film "O Lucky Man" has finally been re-issued on DVD. The timeless classic has been on everyone's DVD wish list for years, and the digitally remastered 2-disc set is well worth the wait!

Besides the feature film, there's an original theatrical trailer, a vintage featurette entitled "O Lucky Man: Innovations In Entertainment" (which includes on-set interviews with Lindsay Anderson and Malcolm McDowell), and a new feature-length career profile of the actor, entitled "O Lucky Malcolm!" But the centerpiece of the Special Features is the recently recorded, movie-length commentary by actor Malcolm McDowell, writer David Sherwin and actor/composer/musician Alan Price. Alan comments on each song as it occurs, and this alone (in my opinion) is well worth the price of admission.

Warner Brothers has re-issued this 2-DVD set as a "special edition", which means it won't be available for long. Order your copy soon (NOW!), to avoid disappointment.

5. youthquake

youthquake Guest

Thanks for the birthday message Tony!

Sorry I've been gone!

As most of you know I'm a filmmaker living in Chicago, so it is only natural for me to go to film festivals, etc. So a week or two ago I went and saw a movie called "Never Apologize" which was documentation of Malcolm McDowell's one man show which is basically just an homage to Lindsay Anderson. It was amazing and he did some funny impressions of Alan!!!

McDowell was there and talked and I was able to shake his hand after the screening and take some Super 8 footage of him. He seemed like a very nice generous guy.

I was too shy to ask any questions but if you have a chance to see "Never Apologize" you should.
    /Kali

6. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

WOWWOWWOW!! Meeting Malcolm McDowell -- how cool!! It's nice to hear that working on that movie was an important chapter in his life too. Somehow I've always felt that it was the crowning achievement of his career -- if only more people appreciated the film.

7. Jean

Jean Webmaster Staff Member

Belated Birthday wishes Kali - hope you had a good day!

How great to meet Malcolm McDowell and I'll bet you've met lots of other famous people too
    haven't you. If you have any pics that you took of Mr McD we would love to see them on APFF.

8. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

Just got my copy yesterday -- haven't had a chance to listen to it yet -- but I'm looking forward to spending the weekend with it!

I bought a copy for a friend for her birthday, too. I'm sure she'll enjoy it, if only for the parts with Alan in them!

9. Rebekka

Rebekka Administrator Staff Member

Is O Lucky Man! DVD available in Region 2?

I have looked but can only see Region 1.

Did you enjoy your weekend Holly :D

10. Concatelli

Concatelli New Member

Rebekka, I checked Amazon.UK for "O Lucky Man", and it seems that it's only available in Region 1 at the moment. Hopefully the PAL version will be released soon.

11. bennyb

bennyb New Member

The Belgian site of the festival where Alan performed on May 9th published this link. It's a joy to see, even for the umpteenth time.

enjoy!

bennyb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w0x-ezfBXA&feature=related

12. milka

milka New Member

I wont that film ??

13. bennyb

bennyb New Member

I know, isn't it an incredible scene? One of Holly's favorites, I belive

bennyb

14. milka

milka New Member

RE:

You only need too program to change the region they called Free Video to DVD Converter but you must first convert files in avi.And Than you merged into one and then follow the procedure followed in program Free Video to DVD Converter.I hope that i help you :playguitar::playguitar::playguitar::playguitar:

15. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

Indeed it is! (That's so cool you remembered, bennyb :hehe:) My heart just leaps up when Alan appears on screen there.

16. Olwen

Olwen New Member

When I first read this thread I immediately ordered the double DVD of O Lucky Man! from Amazon.com. I've already watched the film and loved it - in fact it is why I decided to get back into AP's music - however I really want to watch the full length commentary.

Can hardly wait for my copy to arrive! It really is a first rate film that has stood the test of time and I agree with everyone who says it has been generally underrated :clap::clap: :clap:

17. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

Indeed, it has stood the test of time. I've seen it so often, I believe I could recite every word of dialogue, and yet when I watch it again, I'm swept away all over again. Hope you've enjoyed your new copy of it, Olwen!