O Lucky Man!

Discussion in 'Talk About Alan's Albums' started by hollyh, Nov 28, 2009.

1. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

I just thought we should start a thread for each of Alan's major solo albums, where we can all post our thoughts about the album. Anyone want to start? [hr]
    O Lucky Man!
    Poor People
    Look Over Your Shoulder
    My Home Town
    O Lucky Man (reprise)

2. Daria

Daria New Member

hollyh, it was the first album I heard... or watched actually :)
    I can't even name my favourite song because all of them are one song, though Alan combined different styles. I listen to the whole album at once. It gives so much energy I just want to breathe more :)
    This is a real masterpiece to me.
  3. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

Indeed it is a masterpiece! I have read that Alan dashed all these songs off in just a couple of days -- well, that's inspiration for you. I agree that it all flows together, with his droll cynical wit and sprightly tunes. These songs are so melodic!

This album has become such a part of me, that these songs constantly pop into my head as I go about my daily life. These quotes amount to a philosophy of life: "A man's got to make whatever he wants / And take it with his own hands" -- "We all want justice but you've got to have the money to buy it" -- "Look over your shoulder / 'Cos there's always someone coming after you-oo" -- and of course my favorite, "If knowledge hangs around your neck like pearls instead of chains / You are a lucky man." It is a rather dark philosophy of life, granted. But I find it oddly consoling.

And yet, in the middle of it, there's "Pastoral," one of the most beautiful piano solos ever. And "Arrival" -- that wondrous music always runs through my head whenever I drive into London.

I can't think of many albums that I have listened to as often as this one. I'm lucky that the music world changed to CD because I had completely worn out my vinyl copy. Discovering this album -- even more than the movie -- was very momentous for me. I know that it has changed the way I see the world, and feel about the world. It makes me feel as if there will always be some surprise around the next corner, something funny or weird or beautiful -- like Alan's music is.
  4. Daria

Daria New Member

hollyh, you ARE a poet. I agree with every single word you said. I got goose bumps while reading your post. +1. Totally yes.
  5. Daria

Daria New Member

ah, I'm watching the movie again :)) The actors are brilliant. The music is... no words to explain. Actually I'm watching it because I have to make a presentation of a movie with some exercises as my "Video in ELT class" project. :D

good day to all