1. Richard J

Richard J New Member

Does anyone rememer the theme song to this early 80's Comedy and is it available anywhere ?

'

2. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

Was it based on the Kingsley Amis novel? I only know the old Ian Carmichael film, which must be early 60s...

3. Richard J

Richard J New Member

The series was actually called 'The Further Adventues of Lucky Jim' and was on BBC 1 yes the character was Jim Dixon and was played by the British comedy actor Enn Reitel , so it was based on Kinsley Amis's character. I think Glynis Barber played his Girlfriend.

It was definately 82/83 ish because i was at Colllege at the time.One of the reasons that I drifted away from Alan's work was there seemed to be no new material apart from this song the Themes to Turtles progress , World's End and Plague Dogs, so my memory is clear within a year or two.

Lyrics I remember are:

'Ive been searchin for a reason , but the reasons have left me for good.

Tell me where do i go from here'

4. Duffy Moon

Duffy Moon New Member

'Where Do I Go From Here?' was the song title, but where can one get it?

5. Jean

Jean Webmaster Staff Member

Hi Duffy
    Can't find anything yet but still searching.
    The music from some of these BBC episodes is very difficult to trace.

6. Duffy Moon

Duffy Moon New Member

Has anyone tried contacting the BBC yet? I suppose they would have the master tape.

7. Jean

Jean Webmaster Staff Member

Duffy
    I contacted BBC Archives for some other programme details a while ago
    and they said 'yes - we have got it ' but you can't have a copy! :(

8. Duffy Moon

Duffy Moon New Member

Makes me glad I don't pay a licence fee (I live with my dad who's over 75)!
    They could've at least made you a copy. I mean if it's for personal use and it's unavailable to buy...

Does anyone have any contact with Mr. Price? I can't believe that in the internet age music of such quality is impossible to get. I suppose there are royalty issues, but if it was made available to download (preferably in flac format) I'd happily pay for it.

9. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

According to the IDMB website:

THE NEW ADVENTURES OF LUCKY JIM 1982
    Big things were expected of the talented Enn Reitel in the early '80's. This series cast him as Jim Dixon, an ex-University lecturer struggling to make it in Swinging '60's London. Dixon is no 'dedicated follower of fashion', as he wears glasses and tweed suits with leather elbow patches. The character was originally intended as a spoof of the 'angry young men' of the late '50's. Ian Carmichael played him in a memorable 1957 film. Reitel was perfectly cast as the quick witted, face-pulling Dixon, Anthony Sher guest-starred along with Clive Swift, and the stunning Glynis Barber. It captured perfectly the heady flavour of 1967, with opening titles played against footage of dancing flower-people, backed by an Alan Price song called "Where Do I Go From Here?". Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais's scripts, whilst hardly in the same class as their earlier stuff, were funny, which makes the show's failure all the more perplexing. Reitel went on to provide voices for I.T.V.'s 'Spitting Image'.

10. Duffy Moon

Duffy Moon New Member

I remember enjoying it.

I read that the Beeb wanted to do more, but Ian La Frenais had moved to the U.S.