Discussion in 'Introductory Forum' started by Emm, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Emm

Emm New Member

I think Alan Price is great. Pity I'm not a few years younger!
    Love his music, especially if he teams up with his old buddy Georgie Fame.
  2. Jean

Jean Webmaster Staff Member

Welcome to APFF Emm

Nice to have another member aboard.
    Hope you come back and post again :thumbup:

and we don't have to be young to enjoy Alan's music :wink:

3. lullaby

lullaby New Member

Emm, I don't know a lot of young people my age who know Alan Price's music. Great that you brought up the age question; I'm your complete opposite; I wish I were 50 years older than I am at present. I can't believe I missed out on some of the most exciting years in popular music. Those who were born early enough to be witnesses of those times should treasure the memories as best as they can, because they're not about to come again.

4. Jean

Lullaby that is so true, it was very exciting growing up with The Animals and
    Alan Price, metaphorically speaking, and believe me we really do appreciate
    how lucky we are that Alan is still doing shows for us.

5. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

It certainly was an exciting time to be a music fan -- though now I could kick myself for opportunities I missed! I suppose every fan is partial to the music he or she grew up with, but the music of the 1960s and early 70s was truly special, wasn't it? My kids appreciate it too, though in exchange I'm expected to pay attention to new bands as well. There are some excellent young bands playing now, but most of them seem indebted to the music of that earlier time as well.
  6. lullaby

lullaby New Member

All the new bands of today are indebted to the music of yesterday- and the music of 'yesterday' is the music that was capable of touching so many hearts and souls, and because of that, it still lives- like Elvis Presley said, (not actual quote, but you get the idea) rock 'n' roll is so great, that it would have to take something really big to replace it.

I'm not sure if we'll ever get near to that 'really big' thing- we've already found it in rock music.

I've never really had a chance to see any '60's musicians in concert- in fact, I've only afforded to see a show once. I accompanied my dad to a Stooges performance (not quite part of my favorites... but it wasn't awful either).
    It's one thing to listen to the record, and be aware of how great the band or the musician is; but it's another to be able to see them with your own eyes, witness that talent personnally and have your senses blown away.

Because, I figure, I wasn't born 40 to 50 years earlier, and that I'm not one who hasn't the financial opprotunity to get a seat, I consider it my duty to find a way around that; because as long as people like Alan Price are still playing, I have to travel over there and see a show. No compromises. That's how much I love the music; and trying to find the time and saving up for a gig would be my way of honoring those wonderful musicians the 60's brought the world. Otherwise, I'd never forgive myself if I didn't make that effort :) would you?

7. Jean

Keep saving Lullaby - it will be worth every cent when you
    finally get to see one of Alan's shows!

BTW It would be great if you could change your heart - when you find a prettier one [​IMG]
    I'm a little bit squeamish about your present signature [​IMG]
  8. lullaby

lullaby New Member

I'm sorry, I know it is a little impressive, it's been my signature for a while, but I'll change it, no problem! :D I'm no morbid freak anyway :)
  9. Jean

10. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

Lullaby, you're so right about how exciting it is to see people play live. I think it's outrageous that the Big Stars today charge so much for their tickets, even when they play HUGE venues. But it's partly because the record industry is in such dire straits, the bands have to earn their money on the concert tours instead. It used to be that record companies would subsidize a tour in order to promote the band's latest album -- now the real money is all in the tour. Some of these bands don't even have new albums to promote.

On the other hand, there's a lot of great musicians who play smaller venues, for as little as $40 a ticket. I know that may seem a lot compared with the $5 tickets of the 1960s :? but it's still better than $500 for a scalped ticket to the Cream reunion where you're still miles away from the stage.

It's still a shame that Alan never comes to the States. When you have to add an overseas airfare to the concert cost, it wouldn't even help if he was playing for free!
  11. lullaby

lullaby New Member

last little question... does anyone know how much a ticket to one of his shows cost..? :oops: I have to tell you, you're looking at someone who doesn't own a TV here, I'm pretty lucky to have this machine. around $100?

... :(
  12. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

I see that his regular monthly gigs at the Bull's Head pub in Barnes are only 12 pounds a ticket -- that's about $20. I don't know about tickets for the current tour...
  13. lullaby

lullaby New Member

Thank you, Holly. Unfortunately, I wouldn't make it to any show at all for the current tour. Only next year I'll have saved enough to buy a car, and then enough for a Bull's Head gig, and a sandwich :)
  14. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

Now there's a plan! Good luck with it.
  15. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

Emm -- since you started this thread -- just want to say I'm so glad you've found the forum and you've started to post a lot more. We seem to have come here from all sorts of places and all sorts of ages, but we all have one thing in common. I'm a great believer in the power of music to make you as young or as old as you want to be. Great music is ageless!
  16. richard

richard Guest

welcome hope you enjoy it here!