English expression?

Discussion in 'Any questions - perhaps someone knows the answer!' started by bennyb, Sep 9, 2009.

1. bennyb

bennyb New Member

Hi friends online!

Could you help me with the last line of "Between Today and Yesterday" : "please let me drink black wine"? I know English pretty well but it is my second language and I don't understand that expression.

Also, we are contemplating going to London to the Bull's Head and see Alan. I read that they do not take reservations, that it works on a first come, first served basis. Does anyone know how large the room is and how long in advance one should be there to be sure to get a seat?

I'd be grateful for any replies,

Benny B.
  2. Jean

Jean Webmaster Staff Member

Hi Benny
    welcome to APFF - where do you live?
    I will try to answer your questions.
    With regard to BT&Y - yes I checked on our A-Z Lyrics section and it does say "please let me drink black wine" but I do not know if it has any significance - maybe a Geordie expression. I will ask my friend who lives
    in that area to see if she can tell me anything I will let you know.

Lucky you going to The Bull's Head, I hope to go one day, but I am going to see Alan 'Maximum Rhythm 'N' Blues' October 3rd.
    I have no reports about Alan's Bulls Head show except it's first come first served as you have already heard.
    Perhaps you could contact Mr Dan Fleming.
    Call on: +44 (0)20 8876 5241
    or Email on: [email protected]
    or write: The Bulls Head 373 Lonsdale Road Barnes London SW13 9PY

Best of luck
    Do let us know how you get on and when you have been to The Bull's Head perhaps you will write a report for us! :cool:
  3. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

Benny, I've always thought that "drink black wine" was just a poetic way of saying "deeply taste the dark side of emotions." But maybe it is a Geordie expression, as jean suggested -- I'd never thought of that before.

If you do get to the Bulls Head show, you could ask Alan yourself!

Where do you live?
  4. bennyb

bennyb New Member

Ooooo I like your interpretation. Yes, I told Jean in a private e-mail that if we make it to London, we can ask the Man himself.
    I live in Brussels. Where do you live?

Benny B.
  5. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

I'm in New York City -- sadly too far to make it to the Bulls Head anytime soon!