Best/Favorite Album

Discussion in 'Discography' started by Sweet_P, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Sweet_P

Sweet_P New Member

Having heard all his albums at least twice through, I think my list would go something like this:
    1) O Lucky Man! - What more needs to be said about this album than has already been said? A dazzling work.
    2) Between Today & Yesterday - You can really feel the heart and soul he obviously poured into this one. Favorites: "Under the Sun," "Angel Eyes," "Dream of Delight"
    3) Metropolitan Man - This one might actually be tied with BT&Y; it's just so much fun! Favorites: "Papers," "Mama Divine," "Sweet P" (probably my favorite Price song ever!)
    4) Alan Price - Lots of catchy pop songs mixed with some more melancholy fair. Favorites: "I Wanna Dance," "Let Yourself Go"
    5) England My England - Similar to AP, but slightly less memorable. Favorites: "This Ain't Your Lucky Day, "Citizens of the World Unite"
    6) Rising Sun - Not bad at all, but most of it is standard Price. Favorites: Title track (though it can't hold a candle to the original Animals version), "Perfect Lady"
    7) Shouts Across the Street - Alan's least interesting album. There's more of a variety of styles on display here, but not a whole lot of memorable tunes, I'm sorry to say. Favorites: "Leave It All To Me" if I had to pick one.

Now, all of these ratings are in comparison to the rest of Price's work. NONE of these albums are bad by any means, but I judged them relative to one another, you know? (And true enough, I do not yet own his two Alan Price Set albums or "A Gigster's Life for Me," nor have I given much of a listen to "A Rock & Roll Night At the Royal Court." I'll rank them soon.)

How about everybody else? What're your favorite Alan Price albums?

2. Rebekka

Rebekka Administrator Staff Member

Sweet_Pea

I just cannot choose any favourites. I listen to a CD several times and
    like all the songs. Then I play another one and get hooked on that.

I don't have a favourite - or rather they are all my favourites.

thumbs.gif

3. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

I'd agree with your first three, but I'd rate Shouts Across the Street a lot higher. I got it when it first came out, so I've been listening to it a long time, and it really holds up. "I Know When I've Had Enough" has really grown on me, and despite the cheesy sex-lounge arrangement, "Don't Stop" is hard for me to resist.

Another later album, Based on a True Story would have to be in my top three, too. It's hard to find, Sweet P, but boy is it good. He brings a lot more jazz to his sound on that one, and it really works.

A Gigster's Life For Me is also wonderful, I think, with Alan going back to his blues roots. I'd rank that ahead of Rising Sun and maybe even England, My England (sorry, but the disco tinges on Rising Sun are a problem for me -- I hated that era in music).

I don't know the names of all the Alan Price Set albums, since many of the tracks from that period I first got to know through compilations. But I sure do love A Price On His Head, where Alan introduced so many of his Randy Newman covers.

4. Sweet_P

Sweet_P New Member

I was fortunate to come across the two Alan Price CDs on Ebay (the ones with lots of bonus tracks!), "The Price to Play" and "A Price On His Head." I can't really put one above the other, they're both so similar, but that's not a bad thing at all!

I wish I could find more of Alan Price's work post-Rising Sun, but it seems next to impossible to find it on CD!

5. Jean

Jean Webmaster Staff Member

Hi Sweet_P
    Good old ebay! I have managed to get several CDs from them that were not available elsewhere. :p

Have you tried alanpriceonline ? I just did a check and find it actually links to Amazon when you click on
    your chosen CD so if you are lucky it will be available. Perhaps it's worth a try :cool:

Although the website hasn't been updated since July 2008 I think the 'store' should still be working.

6. felipe

felipe New Member

I liked all the albums of Alan, but my favorites are "Liberty" "England My England" "Rising Sun" and " and "Based On A True Story "

7. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

Recently I have also been listening a lot more to Alan's duet album with Rob Hoeke, Two of a Kind (now that I have my turntable working again) and I would rank it among my tops.

8. Concatelli

Concatelli New Member

My favorite Alan Price album is the one I happen to be listening to at the time.

Cheers! Tony Concatelli