Based on a True Story

Discussion in 'Talk About Alan's Albums' started by hollyh, Nov 28, 2009.

1. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

I just thought we should start a thread for each of Alan's major solo albums, where we can all post our thoughts about the album. Anyone want to start? [hr]
    Be Yourself
    In My Dreams
    Simple Life
    The Sun
    Do It Now
    This Moment
    Imagination Sea
    Little Bird
    It's Not Hard
    The Affair

2. Jean

Jean Webmaster Staff Member

One of my favourite CDs because as you see Alan has autographed it for me. :heart:

'This Moment' is the song that makes the hairs on my neck stand up and I listened to
    it over and over when I first got the CD.

'Simple Life' is another one that I really like. Alan uses just the right words to convey the
    message of his songs.

And who has read this 'Epigraph to more Poems'?
    (printed in the CD literature?)

They said my verse is sad: no wonder,
    It's narrow measure spans
    Tears of Eternity, and sorrow,
    Not mine, But Man's

This is for all ill-treated fellows
    Unborn and unbegot
    For them to read when they're in trouble
    and I am not​
  3. Daria

Daria New Member

hollyh, great idea! Unfortunatelly I haven't listened to that album :( I can't find it in the shops. So I'll read your impressions and will be prepared for listening :D

Jean, lucky you are to have the autograph :D
    The epigraph is rather satirical to my mind. Is it? The metre and the rhyme show a light sadness with a smile IMO. And this is exactly the effect I get from listening to some of Alan's songs (the majority I suppose)).
    Oh I want to get that album sooo much :)
  4. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

Daria, check out Alan's website -- I think you can order Based On A True Story directly from there. It's really worth getting it. It's such a wonderful album! (My copy is autographed too. :heart: ).

I like this album because the music sounds much more jazzy than the pop and blues sounds that Alan usually plays. There are some incredible piano solos on there. My two favorite songs are In My Dreams and Little Bird -- they are both hauntingly wistful and moody. Do It Now is another favorite of mine -- a lilting ballad with a message about not letting love slip away from you.

I also think that Alan's singing on this album is very soulful -- his voice sounds just a little weathered and raspy, but that perfectly fits this album's themes of human frailty and life's disappointments.
  5. Daria

Daria New Member

hollyh, I already started saving money for it :D
  6. Celia

Celia New Member

Oh Jean (and Holly) I'm so jealous because your CD are dedicaced (?) ! but I'm glad for you ! I discovered "Based on a True Story" last Summer and I listen to it at every moment of the day. I love all these songs ; my favourite is "Imagination Sea", but I like to listen to "Why ?", "Do it now"... and Greensleeves, oh Greensleeves.... I like it so much !
  7. bennyb

bennyb New Member

Don't worry, Celia. Soon you'll have your own original autographs.

8. bennyb

bennyb New Member

My favorites : Do It Now. I stated crying the first time I heard it and the song still brings tears to my eyes everytime I listen. One of those basic pieces of wisdom it takes so long to comprehend (well, it took me long, anyway). It's like Alan KNOWS me. (I could say that about many other songs of his). Ever get that impression when you listen to what he has to say? But then, aren't we all very much the same?
    The Affair. I'm surprised nobody mentioned it yet. Can't sit still when it's playing.
    For this album in particular, I feel the urge to say: thank you, Alan.
  9. Celia

Celia New Member

I hope it so much Benny...[hr]
    I feel like you Benny, especially with "Imagination sea"...
  10. felipe

felipe New Member

one of the best albums I've heard!!!!
    this album reminds me "between today and yesterday" by the emotions of music!!!!!
    my favorites are Little Bird, Be Yourself, Why? and Its No Hard!!!!
  11. Concatelli

Concatelli New Member

What a wonderful surprise it was to first listen to this CD! That was back in 2006. The CD had been out since 2002 and somehow... I didn't know about it! (That's because I didn't belong to the APFF back then.) My immediate reaction was to buy copies for about a dozen of my friends!

This CD ranks among my absulute favorite Alan Price releases! Every track is a delight. The melodies are haunting (they stay in my head for days after each listening). The lyrics are insightful and well matched to the moody arrangements. And Alan's piano playing has never been better. Jazzy, relaxed, confident. I guess that's what strikes me about this CD: Alan seems to be in no hurry to get his message across. He sings and plays as if he's in his (or my, or your) family room, waiting for your nod of agreement. I would die a happy man if I could write just ONE song as poignant and as eloquent as these.

My favorites are (in no particular order): "Be Yourself", "In My Dreams", "Simple Life", "Why", "Do It Now", the incredible "Imagination Sea", "It's Not Hard", "The Affair", "Greensleeves" (a real jem)... and ALL the rest!

Wishing you and yours all the best, Tony Concatelli