Alan's Appearance on Saturday Night Live

Discussion in 'Movies, TV, Shows etc. etc.' started by hollyh, Dec 4, 2007.

1. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

I see that the complete second season of SNL is going to be released now on DVD. Among the musical guests, it lists Alan Price. Just mentioning it for those of us who were wondering how one might get one's hands on a clip of his performance....

I myself have never seen this -- I think I wasn't living in the US at the time, and it hasn't been included in any "greatest moments" compilation so far. I am keen to get hold of this, to say the least.
  2. Bassett

Bassett New Member

If you find it Holly then please let us know
    although it will probably not be available in UK :?

3. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

Well I've put it on my Christmas list!
  4. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

No one got this for me for Christmas :x so I had to buy it for myself. I watched it last night -- what a great performance! Alan is wearing a tuxedo, and performs "Poor People" in the first spot, and "In Times Like These" in the second spot. (The show was aired April 1977, so he would have been promoting Between Today and Yesterday then.)

He plays around a bit with the rhythm on the first song, and with the melody on the second one, which mixes it up a bit; the horn arrangement on "In Times Like These" is also intriguingly different from the record. He looks as if he is trying very hard not to sing with his eyes closed! (Something he has a tendency to do...)

The whole show is actually very funny -- Eric Idle is the guest host, and they do a lot of Pythonish sketches. Neil Innes is on as well, and does a couple of musical numbers (including "Cheese and Onions" from the Rutles.)
  5. Jean

Jean Webmaster Staff Member

That sounds great Holly.

Is it available in UK? or
    do you know where I can get a copy ;)
  6. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

I got mine through Amazon, though it's part of a large box set (the second season of Saturday Night Live). The Kinks appear on another show, so I figured it was worth the splurge.

The trouble is, my kids control the TV set these days, and it's not often I get a chance to watch MY shows. :roll: