Alan Price Rhythm and Blues Combo 1963

Discussion in 'Discography' started by Jean, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Jean

Jean Webmaster Staff Member

Only 99 copies made?
    Have you looked in that warehouse Tony?

2. Concatelli

Concatelli New Member

Hahahahaha!!! I wish it were that simple. Drive up, thru the door, into the abyss of shelves and pallets, delve deep into the dust covered boxes... and pull out a mint-condition copy of "I Just Wanna Make Love To You" by The Alan Price Rhythm And Blues Combo!

Most of the 99 copies of this EP were most likely used by the group as audition material (audio calling cards), leaving one at each venue where they hoped to play. The owner, manager or booking agent would listen to the record and then decide if the band could fill the room - and more importantly, get people to buy drinks. Unfortunately, those copies were probably tossed out with dozens (hundreds) of other EPs - or perhaps taken home by employees who knew good music when they heard it.

Most likely, the band members gave a few copies to their Mums and girl friends as well. I doubt that Alan has a copy in his own collection, since it appears that he wasn't interested in archiving his own records early on. I've supplied him with copies of several of his albums that he didn't have (and in some cases didn't even know about).
  3. Jim H

Jim H New Member

I remember someone had a VG- copy for sale in Record Collector probably 20 years or more ago. I seem to remember the price was in the order of $100 so I didn't take him up on the offer.
  4. Jean

There was a copy on ebay a few months ago - it went for about
    £140. I was going to bid for it but couldn't get my the bid on before
    it closed.

Don't often see them for sale do you but I keep looking :)
  5. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

Well, let's look on the bright side here -- evidently there are other very serious record collectors out there who know the value of an early Alan Price recording!
  6. Jean

Good point Holly :D