Alan Price biography

Discussion in 'Alan Price Biography' started by Jean, Jun 26, 2006.

1. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

Great, Jean, thanks!

2. Jim H

Jim H New Member

Tappy Wright's new autobiography, 'Rock Roadie' has plenty of text about the formation and career of the Animals with a fair amount of information about Alan, although it's not exactly complementary. You may not want to read it. Check my review of the book on Amazon.com and you'll get an idea of what it's about.

3. Jean

Jean Webmaster Staff Member

Hi Jim th_Wave.gif

I will check out that autobiography and yes, if I can get a copy I will
    read it. Nobody is 100% perfect but that's life. smilie2.gif

4. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

Thanks, Jim. I'm always curious to read behind-the-scenes accounts of that period -- not expecting anybody to come off as a saint, otherwise the book wouldn't be as interesting.

5. lullaby

lullaby New Member

Wow... I have to say, I'm reading this topic, and this is what I have to blurt out: Holly and Jean, you two are incredible. I've never seen such great dedication in a forum like this. It's fantastic. I'm so glad I signed up-the more pages I open, the more impressed I get by your hard work!! No wonder this forum's at the top of the Google bar :D

love n' light to the both of you :) _()_

Lullaby

6. Jean

Why thankyou Lullaby thumbs.gif

I am so glad you are finding the forum interesting as it has taken over three
    years, many hours work, and the help of several members, to build the forum
    so it makes it very worth while to know that.

Perhaps it won't be too long before you manage to get over to UK
    and see Alan live. yes.gif

I have ordered a copy of Tappy Wright's new autobiography, 'Rock Roadie'
    and am looking forward to reading it :)

7. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

:oops: Gee, thanks Lullaby! It is a labor of love....

8. Jean

Received my copy of Tappy Wright's autobiography this morning Jim and I have read most of it. You are right that it's not especially complementary about Alan, or any of the Animals, or most of the other rock stars. Having lived in the 60s myself I was not unduly surprised to read about the drugs and sex games, and we were spared no details, but it sort of goes
    with the Rock and Roll era doesn't it.

But the thing that came across was that Mr Wright did not have anything much else to write about except Sex and Drugs - there was not a lot of Rock and Roll so I expect that was his only reason for writing this book.

9. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

I suppose the sex is what sells -- and, from Jim H's account of the book, sex was what Wright himself was most interested in. Still, he missed an opportunity to give us some great insights into an important era of music history.

I guess I'll have to get a copy of this for myself!

10. lullaby

lullaby New Member

I agree, dear Holly :)

11. Jim H

Jim H New Member

[quote-Jean] Received my copy of Tappy Wright's autobiography this morning Jim and I have read most of it. You are right that it's not especially complementary about Alan, or any of the Animals, or most of the other rock stars. Having lived in the 60s myself I was not unduly surprised to read about the drugs and sex games, and we were spared no details, but it sort of goes
    with the Rock and Roll era doesn't it.

But the thing that came across was that Mr Wright did not have anything much else to write about except Sex and Drugs - there was not a lot of Rock and Roll so I expect that was his only reason for writing this book.

12. Jean

Jim, meant to do a 'quote' and it changed your post a bit and I don't know how to
    change it back - sorry - Still learning how to do things on here.

I didn't know of George Pearson's book - could be an interesting read - thanks for the info.

13. Jim H

Jim H New Member

Jean, I highly recommend Pearson's book - best book I've found on the development of the Animals. It's written somewhat like a novel but seems to be based on fact.

14. Jean

Definitely getting George Pearson's book Jim and also I might get
    Don't Let Me be Misunderstood by Eric Burdon (Author), Jeff Craig (Contributor)
    - have you read it?

(Need something to keep me occupied when I go
    into hospital for a hip operation at the end of the month) [​IMG]

15. Jean

Just looking on Amazon and find they have a used copy of George Pearson's book for £113!!
    Cheapest is £28.27 plus shipping.

Think I'll try ebay :(

16. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

Amazon US had a used copy for $50 -- I just ordered it. Let me know how you fare on eBay, Jean -- if you can't get it there, I'll read mine in a flash and send it to you!

17. milka

milka New Member

thnx guys for this

18. Jean

Thank you Holly, very kind offer- but I have managed to get one from Amazon for £28.
    The original price ticket on the back said £5.95 so somebody has made a bit of profit.
    In the front of the book it looks like it has been signed personally (blue ink) by George Pearson.
    I wondered if this printed in all copies or is it really signed.
    Just feels like it's handwritten as there is indentation. Is your copy the same???

19. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

Haven't got my copy yet (outside seller in another state, can be slow) -- I let you know when I get it!

20. milka

milka New Member

I vish that i can buy this but i don't have credit card 's I'm vary sad