Alan as a Producer

Discussion in 'Discography' started by Jim H, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Jim H

Jim H New Member

I just picked up the double CD, 'Lulu Shout - the Complete Decca Recordings'. I hadn't known that her last single for Decca, 'What a Wonderful Feeling' was written and produced by Alan. The single came out in 1966 and it sounds like the Alan Price Set backing her. Alan sings backup vocals for the song.

2. Jean

Jean Webmaster Staff Member

Thanks for that information Jim. I did read somewhere that Alan was
    involved with Lulu's recordings but didn't know which ones.

I also searched for 'What a Wonderful Feeling' some time ago
    but couldn't find it. Perhaps I'll have another look. Is it included
    on the double CD?

3. Jean

I found Lulu's 'What a Wonderful Feeling' on Youtube and yes, backing sounds like Alan - have a listen -

-------------------------------------
    What A Wonderful Feeling ----------- yes.gif

4. Jim H

Jim H New Member

Yes, Jean; it's on the double CD.

5. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

Too bad it was only the one track they did together. I love how their voices blend, and they both have such a great sense of phrasing. I'll have to look up that CD -- I never heard much of Lulu back in the day (they didn't play her much on US radio) but everything of hers I've heard, I've liked.

6. Jim H

Jim H New Member

Holly, I recently picked up Shout (the complete Decca recordings), The Complete Mickie Most sessions, and the complete ATCO sessions, altogether presenting all of Lulu's output to about 1972 on 6 CDs. Lots of good songs on these. On the British Blues disc of the Martin Scorcese Blues DVDs, she performs one song, showing what a great blues voice she has.

7. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

I shall have to pick some of those up. I remember being impressed by Lulu on that British Blues documentary. She still has a great voice. I wonder how she would be packaged if she were a new talent today, if she would be allowed to record more adventurous material. I know that Dusty Springfield had some struggles to be accepted as anything more than just a "girl singer."

One of my favorite movies years ago was To Sir With Love. Lulu proved she could act as well in that film. Her recording of that theme song always makes me mist up.

She was also on some episodes of Ab Fab a couple years ago, playing herself -- quite willing to have a laugh at her own celeb image.

8. Concatelli

Concatelli New Member

Outstanding Contribution Award?

I've just checked out the "What A Wonderful Feeling" video on YouTube. I'd forgotten all about the song! That's definitely the Alan Price Set doing the backup, with Alan as arranger and producer. (He may well have co-written the song with Lulu, but I'll have to dig into my singles archive to confirm that fact.)

While there, I noticed a link to the Outstanding Contribution Award petition for Lulu, and wonder if we could look into forming a petition for Alan? (And by we, of course, I mean Jean - our tireless (YA, RIGHT!) leader.)

http://www.gopetition.co.uk/petitions/lulu-outstanding-contribution-award-brits-2009.html

Much love to all. Tony

9. Jean

Petition? Me? [​IMG]

Don't know the first thing about setting up a petition on Youtube Tony but of course, I can always google for information.

And as my signature says 'I'll do it all just for you' thumbs.gif

10. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

While we're at it, we should get him one of those OBE things too. :cool:

11. Jim H

Jim H New Member

She was also in the second series of the Diaries of Adrian Mole some years ago, taking over the role of his mother, Pauline, from Julie Walters who played it in the first series. Unfortunately, it's never made it onto DVD.

12. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

Jim, I just got that Shout double CD of Lulu and spent the weekend enjoying it. I swear I like some of her covers better than the originals! What a great bluesy voice she had, even as a teenager. Some of her material was a little, shall we say, flimsy, but with a proper song to sing she could really pull out all the stops. Thanks for recommending it!

13. Jim H

Jim H New Member

Holly, I'm always happy to recommend music I like to others and even moreso when they enjoy it. I agree that some of Lulu's early material was flimsy but what a voice.

14. TheWindBlower

TheWindBlower New Member

My dad has been looking for a copy of Lulu's The Atco Sessions for years now. It's hard to find here in the states. I search the Internet every six months or so for a download at least. If anyone could possibly file transfer, email, megaupload, anything these files to me, I would greatly appreciate it. It would make a tremendous Father's Day gift.

15. Jean

Is this what you are looking for WindBlower?
    I know it's Amazon uk but I am sure they will post to the states.

Look on this > LINK for more information.

[​IMG]

16. TheWindBlower

TheWindBlower New Member

This could work.
    Thank you.