A Price On His Head / This Price Is Right

Discussion in 'Talk About Alan's Albums' started by hollyh, Nov 29, 2009.

1. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

Here's a thread to discuss this 1967 Alan Price Set LP and its US counterpart from 1968...

A Price On His Head (UK)

TRACKLIST:
    The House That Jack Built
    She's Got Another Pair Of Shoes
    Come And Dance With Me
    On This Side Of Goodbye
    So Long Dad
    No One Ever Hurt So Bad
    Don't Do That Again
    Tickle Me
    Grim Fairy Tale
    Living Without You
    Happy Land
    To Ramona
    Biggest Night Of Her Life

[​IMG]

This Price Is Right (US/Canada)
    TRACKLIST:
    The House That Jack Built
    She's Got Another Pair Of Shoes
    I Put A Spell On You
    On This Side Of Goodbye
    So Long Dad
    Bet No One Ever Hurt This Bad
    Shame
    Simon Smith And The Amazing Dancing Bear
    Biggest Night Of Her Life
    Hi-Lili, Hi-Lo
    Don't Do That Again
    Living Without You

[​IMG]

2. Jim H

Jim H New Member

This Price is Right was the first solo album by Alan released in North America. I bought it the day it came out and listened to it often. I love all the songs. I bought A Price On His Head some years later. Alan's version of To Ramona ranks as one of my favourite songs.

3. hollyh

hollyh Founder Member

Yeah, I wish they'd had that on the US version. And I wonder why they decided not to drop some of the Randy Newman tracks on the US album? Maybe they figured people in the States already knew Randy's versions? Or maybe they just didn't have room after they added the singles -- I Put A Spell on You, Shame, Simon Smith, and Hi Lili Hi Lo.

I used to put this record on every morning when I woke up just to hear "Living Without You." I love how it ends the album. (Looking at the UK track listing, I don't think I could get used to hearing "Happy Land" come on afterward.) By the way, I couldn't find an image on line, so the picture above is a shot of my copy of the record. You can see how worn out it was!

Of course, "I Put A Spell On You" is such a major Alan Price song -- I think of it as the final track of the "real" Animals. Maybe Alan deliberately intended to out-Animal his old bandmates with this one -- if so, he certainly succeeded. Several other artists have covered this song, and it's always powerful, but I just don't think anybody else has ever done it so well. The story goes that Alan recorded it right after his mother died, and there's no question that his voice is raw with emotion here. And that organ solo is so stunning, it always takes my breath away.

Maybe this album holds together so well because all the Randy Newman tracks give it a sort of coherence. Even the songs Alan wrote -- his first original songs -- are squarely in the Randy Newman mold, so they fit right in alongside them. They're all witty, cynical, and satiric, instead of just pablum love songs. It's really a fabulous record, isn't it?

4. Jim H

Jim H New Member

My copy of This Price is Right looks like yours, Holly. I Put A Spell On You was the first solo song by Alan that I heard. I don't think I had heard it on the radio before I bought it in the summer of 1966. The emotion of the singing and the beauty of the instrumention blew me away. No other version of the song that I have heard comes close to Alan's interpretation. Living Without You is a highlight of the album for me as well.

5. Jean

Jean Webmaster Staff Member

Jim and Holly - I must agree 'To Ramona' is one of my favourites too.

Have you seen the Youtube version?

To Ramona

:playguitar:

6. Celia

Celia New Member

I never heard this song before ! how lovely it is ! thank you Jean for the "Youtube version" !
    Celia